I love pretty much everything about the holiday season (the decorations! the music! the food!). But one of my favorite things is giving gifts. Over the last few years, I’ve transitioned into giving more homemade gifts rather than store-bought. Not only does it save money, but I also like giving something more personal!
I do a ton of cooking and baking, so I decided to give out recipe cards of my favorite and most requested recipes as gifts this year. Instead of just writing out the recipes on nice paper, I also had the idea to attach photos of the recipes, putting a fun and different spin on ordinary recipe cards. So if you’ve got people always asking you about dishes you’ve made, these personalized photo recipe cards are a marvelous gift!
Want to make your own recipe cards for gifts this year? Read on!
What you’ll need:
- Photo prints
- Index cards
- Glue stick
- Scissors (depending on the size of your index cards)
- String or ribbon (optional)
Let’s get started:
1. Gather all the recipes you’ll be using. Neatly write your first recipe on one side of an index card with a felt tip marker or pen.
I like to handwrite my recipes for a more personal touch, but you can also type up the recipes, print them out and cut them to fit the card. (Tip: if you’re making lots of cards, printing them on the computer might be the best option if you want to save yourself from the inevitable hand cramp!)
2. If you’re using 3×5” index cards, you’ll need to crop your pictures before gluing them to the cards. Using scissors, cut an inch off the top or bottom and then another off the left or right side (a paper cutter is a lot easier, but scissors work fine as long as you take your time to cut straight).
3. Flip the card over and apply glue all over the other side of the card. Be sure to cover the entire surface! The photo needs to stick completely.
4. Align a photo to the edge of the card and starting with the edge of the photo, press firmly to adhere to the card. Make sure you work quickly so the glue doesn’t dry!
5. Repeat steps 1-3 for the remainder of your photos and recipes.
6. If you’d like a decorative way to get the cards ready for gifting, just tie them up with craft string or ribbon! Cut out a cute gift tag from another index card and attach it to your cards! (Note: this is optional, but adds a nice touch!)
7. You’re all done! Now all that’s left to do is put the cards into a small gift bag and hand them out to your friends and family.
The finished project is actually pretty practical – sometimes it’s easier to just search for a recipe visually instead of by the name. On top of that, it’s unbelievably easy, and the result is a sweet, handmade gift that’s truly personal.