Photo cupcake toppers are a snap to make, so there’s no need to worry if you’ve left your party planning to the last minute.
These are from Halloween, but as you can imagine, it’s extremely versatile. Works just as well for birthdays, wedding showers or retirement parties! Pick a favorite photo for all of the cupcake toppers or use few different ones. There’s no reason why you can’t stick ‘em on a cake, too (or in a donut… or a pie… if it can hold a toothpick, it needs a topper!).
What you’ll need:
- Photo prints (if you use a group photo like I did, you can probably make a couple of toppers with each photo)
- Tape (I used washi tape, but just about any kind will do, since you won’t see it on the finished product)
- Pop dots
- Toothpicks (skinny craft sticks, floral wire cut to the right height or lollipop sticks will also work)
- Paper punches (I used a scalloped circle about 1 ½” in diameter, and a plain circle about 1 ¼” in diameter)
- Decorative scrapbook paper
Let’s do this.
1. Use your larger paper punch to punch two shapes out of the scrapbook paper. If you don’t have paper punches in the size you need, you can make templates out of cardstock to trace onto the paper and then cut out. Paper punches make this process a lot faster, so keep that in mind if you’re making a large number of cupcake toppers. You’ll need two of the larger shapes for each cupcake topper.
2. Use the smaller paper punch (or make another template), to punch out your photos. You’ll want two for each cupcake topper; use the same photo for each side or mix and match.
3. Place a pop dot in the center of each of the larger shapes. Glue dots or any other adhesive will also work, but the pop dots give the cupcake topper some additional dimension.
4. Center your photos on top of each pop dot.
5. On the back of one side of the cupcake topper, use a small piece of washi tape to adhere a toothpick. Make sure the toothpick is in the center of the photo. If you’re the over-achieving type, feel free to wrap your toothpick, craft stick or lollipop stick with coordinating washi tape before taping it to the cupcake topper.
6. Use another pop dot to attach the two sides of the cupcake topper together, lining up the scalloped edges with the toothpick neatly sandwiched in between. Repeat the process until you’ve assembled all of your photo cupcake toppers.
Don’t forget you can order photo prints for this DIY (or any other reason!) directly from your phone using the Kicksend app and pick them up at your neighborhood Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target or Duane Reade. Or get them delivered right to your house!
Other Posts You Might Enjoy: